Saturday 15 May 2010

May 15th 2010 - The New Picket
On my arty travels last night, I came across The Picket which I knew had moved, but not to just off Jamaica Street. I went back today to take a photograph of this marvellous and detailed mural. Painted by Belfast Loyalist, Mark Ervine and Republican artist, Danny Devenny with the help of local community groups. Characters on the mural include Kitty Wilkinson champion of the poor who set up wash houses for all in the city and Irish born Agnes Jones who made an outstanding contribution to nursing, becoming the first trained Nursing Superintendent at Liverpool's Workhouse Infirmary. Her work for the sick paupers was enormous, but took its toll as she died at the age of just 35 from typhus fever. The mural is a true work of art, which many probably missed last night. I didn't go in but I hope the atmosphere is still the same as the old Picket which was always a welcoming place to debate your politics without fear of recrimination. Long live the Picket.

No comments:

Post a Comment